Thursday, December 14, 2006

The twins are 1 week old.

Well it's been a week and this is really the first time I've had a chance to write. This has been such a great week even with the lack of sleep. I love my family.

What have I learned this week?

How to feed, how to burp, how to swaddle, how to change a diaper, how to hold the girls. The learning curve is quite steep when thrown into it.

The scariest part of this week was when Poppy spit up and it came gushing out her nostrils. Talk about panic. And I mean everyone freaked out starting with Poppy as she struggled for air, followed a millisecond later by Gina. So we also learned how to use the "bulb" to suck the gunk out of her nose. Gina has become much more calm when it happens.

We learned that we weren't doing as good a job as we needed at burping so we have become more thorough at it and now don't really have the spit up problems.

It's off to bed now as I have a 4am feeding but I'll write more soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you Scott and Gina!!!
Julie

Anonymous said...

I am beside myself....elated for you four. God's Blessings, Sherry & Georgia

Anonymous said...

Scott I just tear up when I read your words. The girls are beautiful, that includes you as well Gina. I am so happy for you all. I can't wait to see them, but will wait until after the holidays are over to give you all some space. Congrats!!! Love you all tons!!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful that babies are so small, perfect, precious and a part of you. That way when they keep you up at night and deprive you of that much needed sleep, you can't get upset because you look into those perfect little faces and see your own reflection and the perfect little people you have created. Rather it gives you the ultimate reason to smile a very sleepy smile.

Welcome to the world of parenthood. We've all been there and all the future parents of the world will be there. Along with all the joy and love comes the reality that babies need you 24-7. But I promise you it is not forever. Before you know it, (well maybe right now, it seems the long nights will never end), the babies will sleep all night, will get on a regular schedule, and will not keep you sleep deprived until they are 18. (But there again, you may be more sleep deprived when they are teenagers than you are right now).

From my experience with twins, I would say the first 3 months or until they sleep through the night are the hardest. Then it will get easier as twins have each other and are content to be together playing and talking to each other in their own little ways. They always have each other for company and life will become easier for all of you.

Hang in there and enjoy every second of parenthood, even the sleepless nights, for babies grow far too quickly and they are only babies for a very short time.

Love and hugs, Mom