Wednesday, December 20, 2006

What's in a name?

How did we come up with the names? More than a few have wondered, so here it is in a nutshell.

Turns out we both decided on their first names and then each chose a middle name.

Poppy Sarafina Rose - Gina sent me a list of names she liked and her favorite was Poppy. It took a while, but the name really grew on me. Sarafina is a derivation of her Mother's name Sarah. And Rose is my Mother's middle name.

Matilda Hope Andreana - Matilda was also proposed on that list and it's a name that I've loved ever since the Steve Martin movie "A Simple Twist of Fate". There was an adorable little girl in the movie who was named, you guessed it, Matilda. Coincidentally, there is a distant Grandmother, and I mean distant, in Gina's family that also shares the name. Hope is a tribute to our first born Teagan Hope. And Andreana is a derivation of my middle name Andrew, which was also my Grandfather's name.

That's it in a nutshell...still it took us 4 days after they were born to commit to them.

Gotta go...Time to feed.

4 comments:

katintheoc said...

We love the names! Scott especially likes Poppy. :) Having a kid named Texas, we can TOTALLY relate to the grandparents blank stares upon being told what their new grandchild's name is. The good news is, they get over it. And, occationally they'll actually use the name and not just call your kid "the baby." ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm still not "in love" with your names especially after being spoiled with the beautiful name of Teagan Hope. But we are getting used to them and they're not quite as bad as they were. It took me a long time to like Madeleine's name and now I love it, so there is hope for Tillie and Poppi. I figure if I keep repeating them, I will like them better. Tillie, I'm pretty okay with, but Poppi still gets to me. And I told you why. I just have to get used to the names. And hey, if you like them, that's all that counts. Like you said we had our turn and now it's your's.

We have the perfect grandbabies, healthy, happy and loved and that's all that matters. We WILL come to like the names, I'm sure!!!

Hugs, Mom

bernalgirl said...

I love the names you chose! Old-fashioned and brand-new all at the same time! Can't wait to meet the girls in person as soon as I kick this evil cough.

All my love to you!

CBarlerin said...

What beautiful names for such beautiful girls. I'm so happy for you.