Saturday, March 01, 2008

Today was one of the best days of my life.

This morning started off great. When I went into the nursery to get the girls I immediately noticed the distinctive scent of vomit mixed with the mintiness of White Flower Oil. It was Poppy. Fortunately, she was in great spirits...probably because she was about to get another bath barely 12 hours after her last one. I know she loves her baths but this isn't the best way to get one!

We played a little then wanted to take the girls out for breakfast. We weren't out of the house for 5 minutes when, again, I noticed the familiar smell of...barf! There goes breakfast!

So we went home and Gina fed the girls while I removed the cover, straps, and hardware from the smelly car seat and washed them. The girls went down for a nap as I came upstairs and they slept for about 2 hours.

So we had breakfast and relaxed. Gina even tried to take a nap (I think she managed to drift off a bit) but Tilly put an end to that.

After they got up we went for a walk to the Castro with our new stroller...a fancy tandem model which is much easier to maneuver than the side by side ones. The girls love the new stroller, probably because it's so open on the sides and it's much like Mister Toad's Wild Ride...or should I say we push it like that! Got some coffee and groceries then stopped for a little lunch. The girls were both so happy.

We came home and after playing some more the girls took a late nap. Tilly awoke around 6 so I started their dinner and Gina woke Poppy sometime around 7pm just so she could eat...not much, but at least a few bites.

We put them down for the night later than usual but Poppy managed to throw in one more good barf for the evening. It was very much like the guy at the end of Monty Python's Meaning of Life. Get me a bucket. She did it so matter of factly, unfortunately she was in Gina's arms and it came pouring down on her arm completely without warning. She didn't make a peep or cry afterwards.

They finally got to bed around 8:45 and we heated up some leftovers for ourselves. And now I have to run to the store for some much needed supplies.

Sounds pretty ordinary and uneventful, huh? It may seem so but I'll tell you, the time I spend on the floor with the girls crawling all over me, sitting in my lap or leaning against me; every time they come over and raise their arms asking to be picked up; every forehead kiss and smile; every time they turn and run just so I'll chase after them; every time they try to feed me their snacks or give me their pacifier; and every time I look at them and just about start to cry because I love them so much makes every seemingly ordinary moment extra-ordinary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, that's so sweet. I know it may seem silly, but I feel the same way about my cats. They just lay on either side of me or follow me around or sit and look at me and my heart melts.

It was nice to see you and the girls for their birthday. Sorry I wasn't feeling well and didn't stay long.

katintheoc said...

Nothing like a barfing kid to brighten your day! I haven't checked in for a while and it was fun to see the pics and read the stories. They're so cute!